Ambitious, entrepreneurial, experienced
Contact: Ellen Kanner
- Solid experience managing both enterprise and small business website development projects with over 10 years focusing on the user experience of website redesigns and browser-based software applications.
- Experience managing the development of websites and content management systems in Drupal, WordPress, and OmniUpdate’s OUCampus.
- In-depth experience and knowledge in business analysis, design, content strategy, user research, information architecture, website governance, social media, and cross-functional project management.
- Enjoy engaging with emerging technologies and industry developments.
- Business savvy entrepreneur with an enthusiastic and innovative approach in helping people succeed.
- Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator
- BBEdit, CSSEdit
- Sublime Text
- Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Pages, Numbers and Keynote
- Basecamp, Google Drive, Asana, Pivotal Tracker
- Video editing using Adobe Premiere, iMovie and other analog and digital video tools.
- Audio editing
- FTP clients – many
- File version control – Git, Subversion
- WordPress template design and modification
- Understanding with XML, PHP, MySQL, AJAX, Java, JQuery
- Familiarity working in a variety of server environments – mostly Apache
- French (conversational, reading)
- German (conversational, reading)
- Spanish (reading)
Kanner Kreative, Portland, Maine
2002 to date
- Project management, content strategy, user experience design, user research, website governance, interaction design, analytics analysis, information architecture, heuristic reviews, and research reporting
- Logo, graphics and website design.
- Associate consultant with Noel-Levitz on projects for higher education clients across the US.
Dobrá Tea, Portland, Maine
2011 to date
- Manage the marketing, financial and business aspects of our teahouse with husband as business partner.
- Managed two construction space build-outs of the tearoom with sub-contractors and Prague business partners to open on-time and on budget.
- Designed space of tearoom – layout, furnishings, murals, structure, color choices to create a space that encompasses and provides a true user experience.
SR. WEB PRODUCER/DESIGNER and ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR
Web Services, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
2004 – 2010
- Information architecture for each department website
- Worked jointly with back-end developers and OmniUpdate (CMS provider) to enhance and expand capabilities of client sites
- Managed external vendors
- Front end design for web-based software applications
- Managed the Web Services department
- Reviewed and analyzed department needs and budget to gather appropriate resources and tools
- Researched and led several groups of practice and interest at Dartmouth discussing web technology, social media, and site strategy
PART-TIME PRODUCTION and STUDIO MANAGER
Thomas Ames Jr. Photography, Lebanon, NH
2002 – 2004
- Managed studio calendar and production planning
- Assisted on photo shoots for prominent clients such as Pompanoosuc Mills Furniture
- Performed digital photo touchups using Photoshop and other tools
WRITER, RESEARCHER and PHOTOGRAPHER, New England Biking
Moon Handbooks, Maine, NH & VT
2002 – 2004 – published 2005
- Contributing writer and photographer – researching, writing, and mapping of routes for cycling excursions New England Biking, a cycling guide published by Avalon Travel Publishers, Spring 2005
- Travel and scenic photography throughout New England
USER INTERFACE DESIGNER
MedImpact, Inc., San Diego, California
2001 – 2002
- Created application architecture, wireframes, front end designs and HTML/CSS for web-based software products
- Incorporated the Oracle methodology for software development into the UI design process
- Collaborated with product managers on software development process and application needs
- Worked with Idea Integration, San Francisco, to establish application requirements and long-term design strategy
WEB APPLICATION DEVELOPER and DESIGNER
Kintera, Inc., San Diego, California
2000 – 2001
www.kintera.com (now blackbaud)
WEB PRODUCER, DESIGNER and EDITOR
MaineToday, Portland, Maine >1997 – 2000
INSTRUCTOR in Photoshop and Web Design
University of Southern Maine, Center for Continuing Education, Portland, Maine > 1999 – 2000
VIDEO PRODUCER/EDITOR, CAMERAMAN and WRITER
Video production of commercials, news show segments, PSAs and long segments for broadcast at various video production companies.
Bachelor of Arts in Journalism, Advertising Concentration, University of Maine, Orono, Maine
Additional coursework including graphic design (Maine College of Art) and computer programming (various institutions)
»NON-PROFIT and PROFESSIONAL INVOLVEMENT
- Member and Local Leader, IxDA – Maine
- Member, NHUXPA – New Hampshire Usability Professionals Association
- Former Member, AIGA
- Member, Portland Buy Local
- Member of the Upper Valley Web Authors Group
- Former member, Portland (Maine) Media Artists
- Member and former Chair, Bicyclist/Pedestrian Advisory Committee, City of Lebanon NH
- Former Board Member, UVArts Alliance
- Forme Member, GPCOG, Bicycle/Pedestrian Advisory Committee
- Former Vice President, Maine Outdoor Adventure Club
Presenter at conferences and workshops across the United States.